Scrap Bag Heaven

I like to make bags from discarded items and scraps of fabric. It's just what I must do.

Tiny scraps of Kaffefassett fabric from The Cotton Patch stitched together in a pretty uneven way. Patchwork police look away now. I rather like it and can’t decide whether to make a cushion cover or something else. Maybe a bag?

Here are my latest scrap cushion covers from Next fabrics. All 5 are now living comfortably in Cardiff!

This work in progress will eventually become the front and back of a book. Both pieces are made from hand wipes that were coloured with alcohol inks while trying to spread the inks (unsuccessfully) over something else. I thought the alcohol content of the wipes would help but the ink just dried almost immediately.

The stitching was done with Wonderfil Spotlite threads in pewter and 3 shades of gold/brown.

I forgot to reduce the upper tension on my machine which meant the bobbin thread got pulled up to the surface in places. Oh happy accident! The green thread worked so well with the pewter on top that I shall try this again!

Several different un-dyed fleece samples needle felted on to a scrap of black felt and then stitched in to with some lovely Gutterman variegated threads. I also added a few flecks of gold netting for interest. 

Inspiration was from patterns within wood. Might make a small book with it.

Several different un-dyed fleece samples needle felted on to a scrap of black felt and then stitched in to with some lovely Gutterman variegated threads. I also added a few flecks of gold netting for interest.

Inspiration was from patterns within wood. Might make a small book with it.

And het we have my first attempts at using my embellishing machine. AKA a needle felting machine. 

The buttons were felted on to a sandwich of stabiliser and more felt. Absolutely no idea what I will do with them.

And het we have my first attempts at using my embellishing machine. AKA a needle felting machine.

The buttons were felted on to a sandwich of stabiliser and more felt. Absolutely no idea what I will do with them.

I can’t seem to leave this one. As it ages, the natural dyes fade and it begs for some attention. Most recently I have added extra blue and green flowers lush some dark French knots. This is in danger of becoming the perpetual embroidery piece. 

No idea what to do with it. It’s too fragile to use so I guess it will end up behind glass instead of being touched. :-(

I can’t seem to leave this one. As it ages, the natural dyes fade and it begs for some attention. Most recently I have added extra blue and green flowers lush some dark French knots. This is in danger of becoming the perpetual embroidery piece.

No idea what to do with it. It’s too fragile to use so I guess it will end up behind glass instead of being touched. :-(

After dipping my toe into the ocean of wet felting, I had a go at needle, or dry felting and these little (4”x4”) pictures are the result. They were felted on to scraps of open weave fabric of various colours and some were then stitched into by hand and machine with some scrummy metallic threads.

A few more attempts at wet felting on to a gauze backing to see if it stabilised the process. Can report that it did not although the end product is firm.

The fruit was additionally needle felted to give extra definition to their shape. Particularly pleased with the grapes.

As for my attempt at a landscape, I must practice more. It was supposed to be the Malvern Hills!

Thought I would have a go at a wet felted picture. First I laid down some white roving as my “paper” and then placed my background and vase of flowers on top. Covered with fine net and sprinkled with warm water and rubbed a little olive oil soap in too. Rubbed a bit and then rolled it up in bubble wrap until it seemed firm enough not to separate.

Sadly, I prefer the “before” version as the felted one has white fibres that seem to have migrated from behind.
Might repost after a little embellishment

Mr Grasshopper is now happily living alongside some thread painted flowers and underneath some sparkly gems I found at Liberty last year. He’s almost ready to take the plunge and become a shopping bag. Just have to decide on the construction method and make the lining and zip pocket.